Well, I finally got the NSX all back together. The nut that gave me so much grief on friday
came off within minutes of trying today. The combination of not being exhausted (it's hot in my garage!), a fresh perspective, and a good shove in the right direction was all it took.
It seems that this job didn't actually fix the whining noise that prompted this whole adventure. However, I'm happy I did it anyway because lots of valves were out of spec. Now I just need to figure out what the real noise problem is.
It took me about 10 hours total time to get this job done. The time estimate for people who know what they're doing is 4 hours. The actual work went smoothly, the part that took longer was all the silly stuff like dropping tools, having to remove the front head cover twice, getting one of the nuts on the back of the rear head cover in the right place, dealing with the other nut problem from friday, taking breaks because Texas garages are really hot in the summer, and so on.
Working on cars is fun, but it's hard work too.