Amy and I haven't been back to North America to see family since we got married in 2007. We've been talking for a while about taking a trip back, and we've finally got everything in place to do that. Not inclined to do anything by half, our itinerary is now roughly:
- fly Christchurch - Auckland - Vancouver
- 5 days in Vancouver/Victoria (see family etc)
- fly Vancouver - Denver - Dallas
- 1 day in Dallas (see more family)
- drive Dallas - Austin
- 5 days in Austin (SXSW and NTN!)
- fly Dallas - Frankfurt (with almost all day for lunch in Frankfurt) - Dublin
- 1 day in Dublin
- train Dublin - Cork
- 5 days in southern Ireland (see friends)
- fly Cork - London - Reykjavik
- 9 days in Iceland!
- fly Reykjavik - London
- 2 days in London
- fly London - Frankfurt - Tokyo
- 2 days in Tokyo
- fly Tokyo - Christchurch
This is definitely the "Islands of the World Tour 2009". We're going to hit 6 of the top 20 largest islands in the world, plus the slightly smaller Vancouver Island:
- 7. Honshu (Japan)
- 9. Great Britain
- 12. South Island (New Zealand)
- 14. North Island (New Zealand) (sort of cheating, we only fly through Auckland)
- 18. Iceland
- 20. Ireland
- 43. Vancouver Island
We bought the tickets yesterday so we're definitely going. I'm stoked. Questions:
- What's the best airport-accessible place to have lunch in Frankfurt? Arrive 9am, leave 4pm.
- Anybody been to Iceland? Experiences to relate? Places not to miss?
- How best to see an infintesimal part of Tokyo in two days?